It is the holiday season once more, and Santa is coming. He will be here to distribute good and bad to all of the people around the world. He just might be wondering why so many people are asking for ugly Christmas sweaters this year. The rise in popularity of the so-called “ugly Christmas sweater” over the past few years seems fairly odd, given the presumption that anything ugly is automatically a faux-pas. Weirdly enough, it seems to be that the uglier and more fashion-horrendous a sweater is the better. What is the deal, then, with these ugly Christmas sweaters? These fun and interesting facts about Christmas sweaters are sure to help you get in the holiday spirit!
- Ugly Christmas Sweaters are meant to imitate the clothes of our great-great-great grandparents. That’s right, our gaudy, over-embellished sweaters used to hold a lot of sentimental value and appeal. Our elders used to get a kick out how talented they were with a needle and thread, or two needles and yarn, or what have you. The more that was going on a sweater, the more obviously skilled the creator was.
- These sweaters are not actually all that warm. Quite possibly because of the increase in popularity of the ugly Christmas sweater, the quality of the sweater itself has gone down tremendously. Unless you buy your sweaters from the thrift store, it is quite likely that the sweater itself will be thin and uncomfortable.
- They glorify holiday fables. The typical go-to for any ugly Christmas sweater would be Santa, or reindeer, or even Frosty the Snowman. The more festive and generic a sweater is, the more popular it becomes. The Grinch and other popular holiday figures often find themselves strategically placed on a vibrant green or red backdrop.
- Some light up. Occasionally, sweaters will be additionally fancy with battery operated strings of lights sewn into the image. This allows for even more token festivity, with nothing being quite so holiday spirit filled as flashing brightly colored lights—especially not if they’re on an ugly Christmas sweater.
- They have sparked a trend in knitting. Many people, in an attempt to have more unique and personalized ugly sweaters, have begun trying their hand at knitting. It is a knitting renaissance, and the popularity of this task would make grandmothers and great aunts everywhere proud.
In case you haven’t had time to create special outfits for your Christmas sweater party, check out www.designsbychibi.com. Our unique designs in premium quality can solve your problem.